Saturday, October 6, 2007

Be careful out there

Living in the heart of hunting country, I'm used to being disgusted a lot of the time, but I was taken by surprise this morning. A free weekly newspaper got delivered and I saw an article headlined Look out Bambi, you're next with an accompanying photo of arrows labeled A Bouquet of Death. The article is a bland pro-hunting advertisement for a local store, but if you need to see it to believe it, you can try Googling "Budgeteer Bambi" to see if it comes up for you; it's one of those registration sites which isn't allowing my link to work.

I fired off a quick email:

“Look out Bambi, you’re next”? “A Bouquet of Death”? It appears you have a teenage boy fresh from a long session at his video game writing your headlines. I consider modern hunting an equally immoral act whether done by an educated naturalist or a drunken yahoo, but it’s clear which audience you’re aiming at. I hope you’ll have an equally amusing headline the next time one of the fools shoots another hunter.

1 comment:

Oboe-Wan said...

The google search worked for me & I was able to read the article. Yup, drunk yahoos, I think you hit that on the head.

I'm not sure if you saw the pictures of my house I linked to on Stephanie's blog, but we had 1/2 acre that backed up to mountain forest. People could hunt up there, but had to be so far away from residences, etc. etc., blah blah blah.

I used to teach music lessons in my home and the students would have to walk on my backyard path to get to the studio door. Well... one night, as I am letting kids out of the house (it was about 7pm and sunset was well underway) two hunters walked through our field - carrying guns, laughin' it up... And here I am at my door with a 10 year old thinking, "I don't want to let this kid out of my sight until those hunters are gone." It really upset me that they could just walk through yards with their guns like that.

We thought about putting up No Trespassing signs in our field but that was the first & only time we ever saw hunters again. Someone else must have complained.