Saturday, December 1, 2007

Let it Snow, Let us Know

Welcome, December, one of my favorite months. We're getting our first good snow of the season, about five inches so far and maybe a foot or so by the time it stops tomorrow. This makes me happy. I know there are people who don't like snow. I've heard them griping, and I understand that they exist. I just don't understand why, and am especially confused about why they live in places where it snows a lot. Everything is quieting, slowing,...it's like meditation without the work, the end of industrialism without the death and suffering. Ahhh.

Along with the snow and crisp sunny days and icy beards, December brings birthdays to the males of my family. If the three of us make it through another three weeks or so, we'll be up to 234 years between the three generations.

I learned of something very cool today. Want to know what they're studying at MIT? It's all free online here. Courses, readings, assignments, even lecture notes. And it's not just engineering; there are literature, history, anthropology, and lots of environmental and planning courses. Makes for some interesting browsing, but it's still the same old way of looking at the world. If some of the following schools follow suit, I'll really be interested.
And if you know any good teenagers, make sure they know about schools like these.

Audubon Expedition Institute
College of the Atlantic
Green Mountain College
Naropa University
Northland College
Prescott College
Warren Wilson College

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Very cool indeed. Work may be slow for me toward the end of this week; if so, I may take that opportunity to peruse the offerings.

I've heard of most of these schools before. They make me wish so, so much that as a small-town (very small) high schooler I hadn't been so terrified to go further away from home, hadn't placed limits on myself regarding what I wanted to do in life, and had had some experience and perspectives from outside my bubble. *sigh* But that was a long time ago, in another lifetime; how often I regret Stephanie 1.0's decisions.

greentangle said...

I can sympathize from a different angle. I've known about these schools and longed to be a student at them for a long time, but didn't know about them when I was going to college. Heck, some of them may not have existed that long ago! If I had known back then, I would have jumped into it...that's when I had the courage and energy to try anything.

I always knew I had no interest in living a mainstream kind of life, but didn't have a deep interest in anything in particular back then. Even today, I only have it narrowed down to maybe half a dozen things I'd like to be when I grow up. And I'm too worn out and broke from decades of surviving on the fringe of the mainstream to do any of them now. C'est la vie. At least the snow's pretty. :)

Lisa J. said...

Cool cool!!

I have to admit, I've always loved the snow. I hated driving in it, but nothing beats waking up to find snow on the world... I do miss that living here in Vegas.

BUT we get snow on the mountains that surround the valley - like this morning, both mountain ranges (Sheep Mtns to the north, Spring Mtns to the west) were covered. So purty. It's starting to look & feel like winter with temps in the 40's, too.

I'm just glad that I don't have to drive through any of this snow to get to my gig tonight. ;)

Lisa J. said...

As for college decisions... I followed my heart but it doesn't fill the wallet. That's ok... I'm probably one of the few people that did exactly what they wanted in college & didn't bend to the allure of making money.

On the other hand, I wish that we hadn't decided to move to West Armpit (aka the Berkshires, MA) right out of college but had come here immediately instead. We had an opportunity about a year out of college & didn't seize it.... oh how life would be different.

And along those lines, i wonder if we'd have been blessed with some of the insight & strength we possess now had life been easier?