Monday, January 14, 2008

Here an Owl, Here a Falcon

When I was playing Peregrine Falcon Naturalist last summer, we'd occasionally get a question like "If a Great Horned Owl and a Peregrine Falcon fought, who'd win?"

We may all find out together, because owls have nested in the nest box of a pair of falcons who aren't happy about it. Here's the story. Future updates would be linked on this page. And you can see photos of the nest box, which at this writing show the owl inside. The one in question is Oak Creek, first on the list.

If you've already read my entry about Solo the bear, check it again for an update on the bears' fate.

3 comments:

Lisa J. said...

First off, let me say I am not a closet Peregrin Falcon junkie! I LOVE raptors, falcons especially. I remember when I was a kid a couple pairs of peregrins were brought to our city to roost on the buildings. I was beside myself!

If I can now divulge my "fantasy" job, it would be Falconer... seriously!

When I was playing Peregrine Falcon Naturalist last summer, we'd occasionally get a question like "If a Great Horned Owl and a Peregrine Falcon fought, who'd win?"

Very cool story! Now, on to this comment... why is it that people want to know the outcome of "animal death matches"? What is it with our fascination with violence that we have to project it on to other animals? The birds will probably kill each other's young & rough each other up a bit, but will they really "fight" ?

greentangle said...

Good point about the fight comment. I also never understood the great enthusiasm people showed when asking if the falcons killed pigeons/gulls. I guess that makes them good and when they kill songbirds that makes them bad. Who knows?

I'm not one of the strange people who think humans should try to turn wolves into vegans, but I have empathy for the prey as well. The main people running this falcon watching are all hunters, and seem to share the public's delight in pigeon-killing. To me, all the other species involved are doing what they need to, and humans are just choosing cruelty.

Don't know if I ever gave this falcon photo link before but there are lots of great photos of our falcons here:
http://tinyurl.com/24exp6

If you scroll down to Peregrines of Downtown Duluth gallery one, in the 7th photo I'm the guy standing on the right. Then quickly move on to all the cool bird photos.

Lisa J. said...

Ah yes!! Nice to finally put a face on you!!