Saturday, October 4, 2008

Words for a Foggy Morning (and a Decade or Two)

It was in the thirties early this morning when I headed out for groceries and the Lake had been busy making weather overnight. A thick dark cloud of fog hung low over the Lake and downtown, completely left behind when the bus made it a few blocks uphill into bright sunshine. If I were into technostuff I'd show you a photo, but I rely on my memory and you'll have to use your imagination. In an hour or so when I returned from over the hill, the fog had burned off revealing a ship at anchor which had no doubt been there unseen the entire time. Spooky.

When I made some lists a couple weeks ago I was busy looking over various lists of greatest books and authors and have now made a long roughly chronological list of reading which might well take longer than my eyes have left. Some are unread classics, some are annotated editions of classics I've read, some are rereadings from childhood and further exploration of favorite authors, some are recent fantasies, the ones I feel most excited about are several early 20th century authors unknown to me, and yes, there's still a lot of men on the list which follows.

Don Quixote, annotated Gulliver's Travels, Candide, Rousseau's Confessions and Reveries of the Solitary Walker, annotated Frankenstein, Victor Hugo, Charles Dickens, Moby Dick (I've got my doubts about this one but I want to try it), Count of Monte Cristo, Jules Verne, a sip of Henry James, Robert Louis Stevenson, annotated Huck Finn and more Twain, H.G. Wells, annotated Dracula, annotated Wizard of Oz, D.H. Lawrence, Lost World, Ethan Frome, James Joyce, Knut Hamsun's Growth of the Soil (and more?), annotated H.P. Lovecraft, Isaac Babel, Magic Mountain, Thomas Wolfe, Haldor Laxness's Independent People (and more if I like it), Karel Capek, Nathaniel West's Day of the Locust and probably more, a couple of Terry Brooks's recent trilogies (Terry, if you happen to see this buried in the paragraph, I remember years ago you asked me if I read one of the Terrys--was it this one or the other one?), and R. Scott Bakker.

Of course, those are all outside library books except for Rousseau. In my own unread mostly nature library, I'm working on Quammen's Song of the Dodo and there are still a couple Abbeys left, a shelf of Thoreau-related work, a half dozen of Hay, books on various species, a section of deep ecology, ecopsychology, and environmental ethics, the Oxford History of the United States series, a three volume biography of Martin Luther King, and assorted others. Hold my calls, and may the electricity stay on for the long cold dark winter.

2 comments:

Terry said...

I would have been talking about Terry Pratchett.

Mention of Don Quixote reminds me of
Jorge Luis Borges
, who wrote an hilarious satire which involved that work (not of that work though). Borge's worth reading, full of gems like his list of animals, a good followup to your lists from a post or two ago.

Cheers -Terry

greentangle said...

Ah, OK, he's not even the other one I had in mind. There are a lot of you around.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually had Borges on the first version of this list, but I think he may be too unusual for my taste. On the other hand, I have Joyce on there. There also seemed to be a lot of debate on the quality of various translations.