Friday, January 16, 2009

Having a Heat Wave

The temperature's gone above 0 F for the first time since Monday. Here's a nice little chart of the past few days in the region--looks like -47 was the low. As compensation for having to put up with the soaring temperature, we're supposedly going to get a couple inches of snow tonight.

Wednesday morning it was in the negative mid-teens with a wind chill double that. I decided to walk the mile or so to the university where I'm taking some adult ed classes--that day's were on state wildlife and nature writing and I'll write more about them some time in the next couple months. As far as I can remember, it was the most brutal walk I've ever taken--my breath and the scarf around my face combined to cover my glasses with ice so I couldn't see where I was stepping on the icy streets. But I still enjoyed myself and I'm glad I'm getting a good winter for what might well be my last in the area.

I'm reading the last chapter of a very interesting book which, among other topics, in some ways parallels my recent thinking on differences and similarities among radical environmentalists and animal rights activists. You can expect a long post on the subject in the next few days.

As time allows (at the moment there's a pile of eight books next to the computer and a boxful of journals in the closet competing with this plan), I've decided to reread the books I've considered most important in my favorite subjects--deep ecology, the history of the relationship between human and nature, how we should live, nature writing, etc.--and post about them. So if circumstances allow, you'll see a series of those in the next few years.

One final book note: I've just learned my favorite natural history writer has a new book coming in August. If you haven't enjoyed the books of David M. Carroll, you've made a mistake which it's time to rectify.

1 comment:

Allan Stellar said...

Thanks for the book recommendation! I'll check it out.