Friday, March 27, 2009

Winsome, Loathsome

My computer was down for a few days this week, and I thought it was for good. Turned out the only thing I'd decided I was willing to spend money on considering that I expect to be computerless in three months anyway, a cheap new mouse, was enough to get it lumbering along again. I'd written a brief farewell to post from the library--here's a bit of it.
I've long recognized that having a computer took a lot of time away from activities I'd previously enjoyed. Now instead of pressing a button as soon as I wake, I lounge in bed playing with the cat and contemplating life. Once I get up, I spend more time listening to music and public radio, writing with pen on paper, and out in the world. Computerless evenings, combined with only two non-digital tv stations, lead to more reading.
Honestly, while knowing it was going to cause me some inconvenience, it seemed like a pretty good life. There are a lot of great things about computers and the internet: instant research and
access to the previous inaccessible, the companionship of like-minded blogs, email; but also a lot of time wasters like games, and reading comments on newspaper websites. And they've led to the death of many things I valued in life: newspapers, magazines, book and record stores. Overall, for all its wonders, I think all this technology takes us away from the life we should be living.

So though the computer's still running for the moment, I'm going to try to spend more time away from it. I'll still post some book reviews I need to write anyway, there will probably be some Duluth comments before I leave and accounts of spring hikes, and I've had the title of my final post lined up for months. But I'm going to stop thinking I should post something because I haven't done it in a week.

Instead, I'm going to watch the last snow melt as I drink a cup of tea. I'm going to shoot more rubber bands across the apartment and laugh as Walden leaps in the air like a volleyball player at the net. I'm going to fill the pages of my journal more quickly.
I'm going to wait for the Lake to make a wave.

Some things I'm finding interesting--increasing numbers of tent cities, decreasing numbers of jobs and struggling non-profits, desperate attempts to wish the economy back into what it was and will never be again by trying to get people who are accepting the new reality to go back to spending money instead, final passage of increased Wilderness, and almost 20% of the world's population of North Atlantic right whales in Cape Cod Bay.

See you at the next trail junction.

1 comment:

Allan Stellar said...

So you are going to take down your Freak Flag? Yes, I get your point. How does a Neo-luddite justify having a computer?

I shall miss your commentary and blogs, and hope that, perhaps, you will discover that writing (and being read) is better than solitary scribbling in a journal.


Cheers!