Monday, July 27, 2009

Going to Sea

I was on the Lakewalk recently when a female jogger passed, and in passing, told me that I had a nice bounce to my step. "It's kind of a happy bounce," she said. I told her I thought it was more of a dislocated hips at birth bounce. Am I slick with the ladies, or what?

Speaking of slick . . . no, wait, it's not oil, it's plastic . . . OK, so it is oil. Anyway, you've probably heard of the infamous miles of plastic floating around in the Pacific Ocean, right? In August, a group from Scripps Institution of Oceanography is heading out for a few weeks to take a closer look. I'd love to be along for the ride--long ago I fantasized about attending the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution as a result of spending many days on that part of Cape Cod--but instead I'll follow along on their blog. Cruise along with me if you like. One of the folks actually onboard will be doing whale research as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks interesting. Bookmarked.

Ruahines said...

Kia ora Greentangle,
I saw a docu story on that over here in New Zealand and it is pretty scary indeed. A sludge of plastic soup. Thanks for the heads up. I shall follow along as well.
Cheers,
Robb