Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Cove

Partly to see the movie and partly to get a look at the new independent movie theater, I went to see The Cove today. You've probably heard of it, a documentary about dolphins captured in one location in Japan, some to be sold to entertainment and swim with the dolphin companies, the remaining to be slaughtered and sold as mercury-tainted food.

It's a powerful mix of
beauty and humor, the inspiring passion and heart-breaking pain of members of the covert operation to witness and film what takes place despite many obstacles from local fisherman and the Japanese government, the decades-long burden of guilt carried by Ric O'Barry who blames himself for starting the captive dolphin industry because he captured and trained the dolphins used in the old tv show Flipper, the farce which is the International Whaling Commission, and the horror of thrashing dying dolphins in a sea of their own blood.

I hope you'll see it if you haven't yet, and that you, and I, and all who do see it, will find the strength to do what we can to fight this and all the other barbarities which surround us.

I wish you could swim
Like the dolphins
Like dolphins can swim

We can be heroes
Just for one day
--David Bowie

I liked the small theater and I'm sorry I won't get to see more films there. This was the first time in a few years I've been to a movie theater, and walking out in that semi-daze which follows a couple hours watching a good film on a big screen in a darkened room, I was reminded of one of my early days here. I went to a winter afternoon movie at the Norshor (almost across the street from the new theater and now a strip club) and snow began falling while I was inside. On the Lakewalk afterward, the snow on the ice near shore and the dark Lake beyond lent an arctic feel which made me imagine a white wolf leaping from ice plate to ice plate. No snow or ice today unfortunately, but thankfully no bloody dolphins, just the long empty horizon providing room to reflect and shift gradually between worlds.

No comments: