Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Expert Advice

I hate to give you a junky post like this. If I had more computer time, I'd tell you pretty tales of swan bathing (neck under water, then rubbed on back, vigorous flapping and splashing), Indian pipes, startled wood ducks, turtles, lots of acorns (I've missed the oak woods), loud beaver splashes, mushrooms from ground and trees, dragonfly orgies, clumps of pine needles shooting out in all directions from my sappy soles, frogs, beautiful New England fall days with rings of red leaves encircling ponds, a fin whale and a half dozen humpbacks (including two who repeatedly surfaced near the boat), and how I automatically but unsuccessfully looked for raccoon scat on an eyelevel horizontal tree trunk near water.

I'd post extended versions of my latest Amazon book reviews, and I'd tell you that Walden the cat is doing well back in Duluth (where I've already missed the season's first snow). I'd also tell you about the dog I'm living with who made me gasp when I first saw him, supposedly a mix of pit bull and black lab who looks more like a mix of pit bull and bull, and who sounds like a galloping horse when he runs. A couple days ago I threw tree branches (which get chewed into wood chips) for him to fetch, but I wouldn't dream of trying to take one away from him. I'd report that a coyote ate a couple of my friend's chickens, and that while she's sad about the chickens, she was excited to see the coyote.

Coming up this weekend is an open house at a farm animal sanctuary (click Sanctuary in the list of posts to the right to read about my last visit) featured in the new version of Peaceable Kingdom with guest speaker Harold Brown, one of the stars of the original version, whose story of the cow who changed his life gets to me every time I hear it. I haven't spent much time in Boston yet, or made it to Concord.

On one of my local walks, I saw a red pickup truck parked on the sidewalk ahead. There was no room in the driveway because of all the other motorized recreation vehicles. As I walked around it, I noticed the sticker "If you object to logging, try using plastic toilet paper". There was no doubt about it, here was an asshole authority.

5 comments:

Woodswalker said...

Welcome back to the great Northeast, with its many, many beauties and (unfortunately) too many assholes. Or as I like to call them, "gasholes" since they all seem to be addicted to the smell of gasoline. (Chainsaws, jet skis, snowmobiles, ATVs, SUVs, etc. etc etc.) They must have forgotten how to just walk through the woods.

I hope you find access to lots of computer time, since I miss your posts and look forward to many more.

Allan Stellar said...

Good to see you back in action (and safe and sound).

As for the truck... made me laugh. I've thought of creating a blog page dedicated to "pick up trucks and the idiots who drive them", complete with photos of disrepair, dangerous stacking of stuff you haul in a pick up, and (for fun)idiotic bumper stickers...

Northland said...

I'm glad that you are back blogging again from your new location. I look forward to reading your blog again and hope that you can make it over to Concord and blog about it.
Have a great autumn!

greentangle said...

Hello all, good to see you again, but I think posts here will either be very rare or very brief.

WW, I took a too quick look at your blog--now that I have a library connection and all the beautiful pics come up right away, I don't have the time to fully appreciate them.

Allan, sounds like another good blog. Glad you and your home survived the storm.

Don, not sure I have anything new to write about Concord, but I just got a couple library books I hope to write about: Walden by Haiku (makes haikus out of Walden passages) and Searching for Thoreau:On the Trails and Shores of Wild New England (visits places Thoreau went and what they're like today).

bill said...

Hopefully you are not implying that all loggers are, well you know.

Responsible forestry is a challenge. If one takes enough time they can hook up with responsible foresters and responsible loggers.

Some encouragement should be given to the use of forest products in part because they are a renewable resource, but also forestry is one of the most viable ways of keeping large tracks of land out of developer's hands. As you might suspect, a real issue in New England.

bill;wwwiwildramblings.com