Thursday, March 11, 2010

Just Saying Hello

I'm busy with lots of necessary and costly preparations for the big change coming in a couple months and not really doing much day to day nature hiking. I did take my usual notice of skunk cabbage this morning, but I'm occupied mostly with technology--trying to figure out my first laptop and just ordered my first digital camera to go with it--and shopping, which is one of the activities I most loathe in life, and trying to get various body parts in better health before I leave modern medicine behind. I still have never used a cell phone however, and haven't driven a car in 25 years or so, and assure you that I'm still a simple Luddite (in the generally misunderstood sense) at heart.

I wanted to point you to the March issue of National Geographic which has a cover story on wolves expanding their ranges from their Yellowstone reintroduction sites. It includes a map of pack locations so I'll know who I'm looking at. There are some great photos and one quite sad one, as well as artwork showing the positive ecological effects of wolf reintroduction. (And on the wolf subject, this season's Isle Royale wolf study just ended so go over there and read about Romeo's adventures.) NG also has some enticing photos of carniverous plants--if they were big enough, I'd probably be digested by now.

I've also been seeing lots of articles about Eastern Coyotes (the result of breeding between wolves and those little Western Coyotes) which some folks want to rename as a new kind of critter. I got a brief glimpse of one running on the other side of the railroad tracks at Walden Pond this fall (part of that long post which the evil technology lords destroyed before you saw it) and was mightily impressed.

And finally, for some new Yellowstone winter photos including the falls I'll be hearing in my room, be sure to check out the latest from Robyn in Yellowstone. I can't begin to express how much I'd love to be there amid all that winter snow, but with luck I'll get the chance in a future winter before the area becomes tropical.

At some point soon, a commentary on the latest books from Bill McKibben and William Powers. Enjoy the rest of your winter, if you have any.

5 comments:

Woodswalker said...

Thanks for the great links to articles about wolves. I take it you will be moving to Yellowstone? Congratulations! And you're right about eastern coyotes. They are pretty big and wolflike, including in their behavior: they travel in small packs and can bring down large animals, like deer.

Allan Stellar said...

I look forward to seeing a few photos along with your well written posts!

Have you read "American Buffalo" by Steven Rinella. I liked the first chapter, but am not into this young man's obsession with hunting bison.

cheers!

allan

Bill said...

I'm still somewhat new to greentangle. I find the diversity of the information very interesting and stimulating. Here in western New England we have been seeing large packs of the eastern coyote since the 1970's,about 10 years before MA Fish and Wildlife acknowledged that we had them in the Commonwealth. More recently timber wolves have been showing up with some degree of regularity. One was killed by a sheep farmer just last year. It's interesting to see how our predators reintroduce themselves as our large open spaces get filled with mature forest. A convincing argument that land clearing was as much to blame for our loss of many animal species as hunting or intentional extirpation.

Thanks for the blog. I would like to add it to my favorite blog list on www.wildramblings.com. OK?

Bill

Kay said...

I dropped by because I love the title of your blog. Greentangle sounds like a place I'd like to be! And I'm delighted to find some book recommendations. I'm currently rereading Dorothy Wordsworth's Grassmere journals.
I'm going to keep following your blog. Thanks!
--Kay

greentangle said...

Whew, I've made it back to the sun after three days and nights of heavy rain. Lots of flooding going on, including parts of the two miles of sidewalks I took to get here.

Woodswalker, if all goes well, I'll be at Yellowstone for four months starting in late May.

Allan, don't think I've read it, but if it's a few years old it might be the one I started from the Duluth library but quickly gave up on.

Bill, that seems to be standard practice for state agencies to deny the existence of returning animals--the ones around the Great Lakes denied mountain lions were around for a long time. I'm glad to hear wolves are returning. Feel free to list my blog if you like.

Thanks for visiting, Kay--things can get messy and unruly here in the tangle, but you'll find lots of books mentioned if you look around.