Thursday, April 1, 2010

What's new on greentangle?

For starters, those three books it says I'm currently reading? I'm not. Probably won't be any time soon. Just after pulling them out to be read, I got two new Vine books to read and review: Everything is Broken: A Tale of Catastrophe in Burma and Hellhound on His Trail: The Stalking of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the International Hunt for His Assassin. And just after I got those, I learned that three library books I'd requested at various times have all arrived at once: Anthill, a novel by E.O. Wilson, Manufacturing Depression: The Secret History of an American Disease, and Wilderness in National Parks: Playground or Preserve. So all that is what I'll currently be reading when I'm not soaking up the still-seeping water in the basement, or enjoying the nicer weather and last weeks in this place, or making preparations for the weeks in other places, or writing to you.

There's a new blog on my list about nature in Duluth, thereby automatically becoming one of my favorites. It's named Urban Nature: Duluth, MN. On my websites list are a couple new links to cams, one of Old Faithful (I haven't caught it in full blow yet), and the second, which I love watching for the weather and changing light and wondering whether the mountain will be visible, is of the Yellowstone River and Electric Peak. I also added links to a couple places where I regularly skim paragraph long reviews of upcoming books, Library Journal and Publishers Weekly. Have I ever told you how many times I considered getting a Masters in Library Science? It was a lot and the time I actually applied to one school, I got accepted but moved instead.

What's not new is a photo post I considered doing about nature. I'm currently near the intersection of Pond and Oak. Nearby is Brushwood Hill, and I regularly pass Pine Knoll. This town may be the Home of the Panthers (lots of Panther fans here) but also here are Fisher and Beaver and Deerview. There are more trees and one neighborhood has a variety of berries. So there you have the sad joke, recreated in towns all over the country, and I didn't have to waste my time walking all over town taking photos of signs.

Sometime in the next couple weeks I'll replace the favorite posts list I took down with a couple shorter ones. And I'm considering ideas for a new post of lists like one I did about a year and a half ago. If you have any requests, just write them on a bar napkin and toss it at me.

2 comments:

Sonya said...

Aw, thanks for the mention and the link.

I've actually been thinking about a masters in Library Science, too. None of the local schools offer the program, but I guess I could do it online through UW-Milwaukee. The problem is that libraries everywhere are having their funding cut to the bone and aren't hiring, so getting that degree would probably not be the wisest use of money.

greentangle said...

Yes, the last time I seriously considered the MLS was back in 2000. Even back then it was becoming as much about computers as libraries, and now as you say with cuts, it probably wouldn't be a good idea.