Friday, May 21, 2010

Home?

Unfortunately, I've messed up the quality of these photos with a lot of resizing but I don't want to spend any more time trying to fix them. Just picture them sharper.





I could tell you more about two days on buses and in bus stations but mostly I just slept. I didn't really feel any enthusiasm about any of this until I woke up about fifty miles south of Duluth and noticed the wetlands and trees.





I went to visit my feline former roommate last night. He ran away and hid from me. Which led to some interesting thoughts and talk about if cats remember, how they most strongly sense the world, if they feel attachment to place or person, etc. The question up for consideration is does the cat not know that he lived with me for five years, or does he remember perfectly and is afraid I'm going to take him back and remove him from his much more spacious and stimulating new home. Later that night he was curled up with another cat he often squabbles with, perhaps demonstrating his best behavior. I wasn't surprised by his behavior because he'd acted similarly when I'd left him there once for about ten days--this time it's been eight months since he's seen me. I'll see if I can get a photo of his fleeing backside before I leave.




Got my hair cut short today to last through four months at Yellowstone, so I guess I'm really planning on showing up. The cutter gave me a compliment on my hair before leaving it all on her floor--I feel like Samson. If I had my way, I would tear this whole building down. But lunch's fortune cookie read, "You have a remarkable power which you are not using." WHAT? I'm a superhero? Why didn't anyone tell me? Speaking of lunch, it was seitan (and broccoli and cauliflower and onions and red and green peppers and more) in garlic sauce; dinner was a wild rice burger and apricot wheat beer as I make my way through favorite restaurants.





After the haircut, I passed through a small patch of woods and had close looks at a couple deer and a nice listen to a pounding pileated woodpecker. We're not in Megalopolis any more. Didn't have my camera with me then but I did this morning when I walked the woods and beach of my favorite hike in town. Nothing dramatic and it wasn't a glorious looking day, but I'll share a bunch of photos. I don't have anything to say about them; I think you'll either completely understand why I love the place or else my words could never make you understand.













4 comments:

Allan Stellar said...

Ah, the light house at the end of what I think is called "park point"? About six miles past the Lift bridge. What I enjoyed about Duluth was that as you go north, people get fewer and fewer. Just Thunder Bay and then nothing but wildland to the North Pole...

I just couldn't handle the climate...

Enjoy your stat...

Allan Stellar said...

oops...enjoy your stay... :)

Ruahines said...

Kia ora GT,
I lived in the Twin Cities for a number of years after uni and spent a lot of time in Duluth, and further north as well. Lake Superior has an awesome presence. Brings back a lot of memories. Happy travels.
Cheers,
Robb

greentangle said...

Yep, that's the one, Allan. I share your appreciation for the diminishing population, and fortunately love the climate as well. Considering climate change though, I'll have to investigate what's farther north.

Don't remember if I'd known you'd been up here, Robb. It is a very special spot, more holy water to me than what they used in the church I went to as a kid. your last post was very powerful by the way, words and photos. I had been thinking of doing a similar reflective kind of post on this one but I'm just too busy to write it right now. Definitely feeling it though.