Sunday, June 27, 2010

Your Mission: Find a Face or Name a Flower

It's peregrine falcon fledge week back in Duluth, and although I'm keeping up with events via email (2 males have left the nest box for nearby roofs, 1 female and 1 male still at the box), I'm missing the excitement of being there wandering around and searching with binoculars and scopes. And for all the glory of Yellowstone, I still miss The Lake.

I was first on the list for a chance at a seat on the Saturday bus around the park, but when the morning rolled around I didn't feel any enthusiasm for spending the day on a bus with tourists and didn't bother checking to see if I could get on. I definitely want to get to Lake Yellowstone some time, but I really don't care if I ever make it to Old Faithful.

I learned a new word this week--touron. That's a combination of tourist and moron. Not to suggest that there is a complete overlap between the two categories; just enough for someone to coin a word. The National Park Service would never use such a word of course, but they do have a page of videos designed to discourage touron behavior. From elk ramming cars to bison goring people, it's all there for your viewing pleasure.

The urge to walk longer distances is building and threatening to overcome my desire to continue lounging in a room of my very own. Next weekend I'm signed up for a 10 mile group hike to a lake and a peak. Today I considered walking the 5 mile dirt road to Gardiner (the nearby town--population 850) but it's uphill coming back and I was afraid the market might be closed on Sunday. Not that I wanted to buy anything in particular; I just felt like a trip to the big city. That uphill return trip supposedly used to keep the soldiers here from getting too drunk in town. I'm going to try to make a trip to Bozeman in a couple weeks to open another new bank account and gorge myself with quality restaurant food.

Anyway, missing the falcons and listening to three Patty Griffin cds made me get off my butt to look for the owls late this afternoon and take a local hike. I found a couple owls, and I think in some of these photos they're looking at or away from each other but I can't be completely sure.



















I enjoyed walking around the terraces and walked along the upper road for the first time which made for a nice walk although I was bear-clapping at times when there wasn't a car in sight. I'll save the landscapes for another day, but here's a bouquet of flowers to hold you over.





The next one has a visitor.





2 comments:

Woodswalker said...

Great photos! I love those little owls, and I'm glad to hear you like Patty Griffin, my favorite singer, along with Lucinda.

greentangle said...

Ww, Patty and I go way back. ;-)
I once even wrote a post about her.

http://greentangle.blogspot.com/2007/11/patty-griffin.html