Wednesday, September 29, 2010

More Falls

One of my first posts from Yellowstone was titled Falls, but there weren't any waterfall photos in it. This one has some, but there are more falls too.

First, a little housekeeping. I told you recently about the magpie who was repeatedly jumping up from the sidewalk to pick bugs off a truck's grill. Sunday I heard a thud at my window and with all the elk action recently, my first thought was that it was an elk. But no, it was a magpie clinging to my screen during a bug meal.


In thinking of my current vagrant life, I've been wondering how I could turn my boxes of stuff into something more portable which wouldn't require a storage unit or apartment. Since half of those boxes are books, I thought a Kindle might be a good idea--carry those five boxes with me wherever I go. So I checked into it by pulling up my spreadsheet of books in boxes and investigated to see how much it would cost to replace them all. I didn't get far: Abbey, Edward--apparently the only one of his books available on Kindle is the one novel I sold. Clearly not a workable idea.

Nothing new on the possibility of working here this winter.


Today some of us from work took a five mile drive and half mile walk to a couple waterfalls--Wraith:



and Undine:



Monday night I learned the sad news that the cat who lived with me for my last five or so years in Duluth is dying. I'm not sure if I'll make it to Duluth before he dies; I've considered leaving early or going for a weekend and would do it if I thought my company would be any comfort to him, but based on his apparent lack of recognition when he saw me in May I think my presence would just be an additional stress to him. I haven't told this to anyone here yet; I don't think I've said much of anything for the past couple days. I'm telling you to explain in advance what may be a lengthy absence as I deal with this news, finish up the next couple weeks here (no more hikes or events currently planned anyway), visit Duluth to apartment hunt, and hopefully get to Boston at the end of October for the vegetarian food festival and to ship my stuff.


Until the next post from here or somewhere out there in the other world . . .

3 comments:

veganelder said...

My best wishes for his health to your cat friend.

Ruahines said...

Kia ora GT,
Having lost a good feline friend in the not too distant past, you have my condolences. There are times I still expect to look over as I am putting on some music to see if Morrison approves of my choice!
Cheers,
Robb

greentangle said...

Thanks to you both.