Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Old Faithful: The Two Hour Hike

Some of my office mates had gone to see the new Old Faithful Visitor's Center last week; today a new group including me made the trip. A day's pay for having fun, a free lunch--believe me when I tell you this is not how most employees here get treated. I've lucked into being among the rich upper class of non-management seasonal employees, and I try to never forget that whatever else may go wrong.

So yes, today I saw Old Faithful erupt for the first time. Although geysers don't really thrill me, I even took some photos but the water blurs into the steam and I'm not going to bother posting one. But I've got a bunch of other spots to show you from my solo hike after lunch.

As soon as I make it past this bison who seems to be contemplating sending me for a ride. After this photo, he did turn and take a couple steps toward me. I moved on.



Spots such as Castle Geyser,



Shield Spring,



Crested Pool,



and one whose name I don't recall.



It's not easy being a tree around here. You don't want to be at the front of the line.



Here are a couple views of the Firehole River which runs through the middle of these features.





Here are Chromatic Pool,



Grotto Geyser (which looks a bit like ET to me),



and another whose name I don't remember. Maybe it's even anonymous--all of the features aren't named. Actually, now that I look at it again, I think it's the same one whose name I didn't know up above. But I like both photos anyway.



After my boardwalk walk I was ready to get in the woods so I headed uphill to Observation Point. This is what that trail looks like.





And here's the view from the top.



I wanted to show you what the trail was like, because on my way down I heard a "Huff, huff, huff" from behind me. I turned and looked around but didn't see the bear I think made the sound. I forgot to look up in the trees, so the only bear I actually saw today was the drawing of one at the beginning of the trail.

I did look up in the trees when I got back to the parking lot because of the noise being made by this raven.











And here's the other half of the conversation, perched on a van.

4 comments:

Ruahines said...

Ka ora GT,
Great tramp! Love the diversity and the raven is so cool. Those pine forests make "pine" for home.
Cheers,
Robb

Allan Stellar said...

I've been meaning to ask you. What is the best book you've read on Thoreau? Have you read Krutch?

allan

greentangle said...

It was a good walk, Robb, and getting paid to do it made it extra good. I love all the conifers. Forgot to mention that on the ride back, we passed a distant carcass with lots of ravens and one bald eagle.

Allan, I think I read Krutch's bio but I don't have it any more. My two bio type favorites are The Days of Henry Thoreau by Walter Harding and Henry Thoreau: A Life of the Mind by Robert Richardson. The first is more about what his daily life was like, makes him very human so you feel the loss when the death scene comes along; the second is more intellectual, putting him in context of his times and the ideas and books that influenced him. I'd read them both.

Woodswalker said...

How'd you end up in heaven without even dying? Some surroundings! Love those ravens.