Friday, December 17, 2010

Harbor with Ice

I've never had a more difficult time deciding which photos to post here. From variations on the same scenes to abstract moments to oddness I found oddly appealing, there were a lot of tough choices. It's hard to go wrong with such beautiful scenery.











I've finally started playing around a bit with what the camera will let me do as far as changing aperture and shutter speed. I'm still confused about the whole aperture/digital/zoom relationship, but I know switching to a very fast shutter speed for the next batch of shots would have been a good idea because this bird was moving. Maybe the water was cold. Actually, moving so fast that I couldn't even focus--I just pointed ahead and hoped for a swimming appearance--so maybe the shutter speed wouldn't have mattered. Anyway, my fingers were so cold that I didn't even think of it at the time.





Taking flight on this next one, which I don't think you'd figure out if I didn't tell you. Somehow the complete lack of focus makes it seem sort of painterly to me.

















I've been having a lot of fun this week hanging out by the water, in the cold, taking these shots and reminding myself why I loved living here. Arrows are still flying in Duluth's woods until the end of the month, but I'll try to do some winter hiking next month. It's been good for my mind and spirit if not my feet which I'm thinking of calling a doctor about before I leave civilization again. Good rumors of how long that next sojourn is going to last but I haven't seen a contract yet--I'll let you know when I do.

5 comments:

Woodswalker said...

I just love all these images of ice and sky and fog, of this post and the ones preceding. How brave to take photos in such cold! I just got some great mittens that will let you put your forefinger and thumb tip out while the rest of your fingers stay tucked inside. I think they were designed so you could type text messages in them, but they also work great for pushing your camera button.

greentangle said...

I love them too--not because of any great skill on my part, just because the scenes are beautiful. I might have to look for those mittens!

Jain said...

Lake Superior pancake ice... sigh.

greentangle said...

I feel your pain!

Hey, if you ever get to the Porkies again, would you get me a bear with tracks sweatshirt if they still sell them? This one's almost worn out. Lots of folks in Yellowstone liked it.

Jain said...

Unsure when I'll get back but I'll bear in mind your request.