Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Timing's Off

A bit of last night's sunset through a window. Of course, five minutes earlier as I'd been walking home from the bus the entire sky was a mix of pink and orange and blue.



Still not doing much walking since everything is covered with snow turned into ice, and my current gait is left heel, ow, right knee, grumble. Living on the third floor of a building with no elevator isn't helping the knee at all. I'll try to save what's left of me for hiking in Yellowstone. After a month sleeping on the floor (more accurately, the floor covered by thick carpet, a foam sleeping pad, a folded blanket, and my sleeping bag), my back finally convinced me to buy an air mattress which got its first use last night. When inflating it, I was really tempted to explode it, but I resisted the urge.

I heard from Yellowstone last week, wondering if I'd be interested in coming back to work now because some people hadn't shown up. I'd be incredibly damned interested, but it's not possible because I prepaid a four month lease here and am working on resolving a number of issues. But I still said, damn, damn, damn. Yellowstone in Winter. Why didn't you just hire me in the first place when I filled out the winter application? Damn, damn, damn. Hopefully next year.

I spotted a full time accounting assistant job with the Yellowstone Association just outside the park in Gardiner (Which incidentally is the only town I know which misspells its own name--it's named after Johnson Gardner, but there was an error by an early expedition which the town never changed. So we have the town of Gardiner on the Gardner River.) which I considered applying for--much better pay, health insurance, security, a place of my own, etc.--but decided that in my circumstances, I'd rather live in the park and have access to the many group hikes and events. Also, difficult as it is for me to believe, I actually started liking some of the people I met this summer. It's not your average American who decides to work in Yellowstone, and non-average people are the kind I need around me. Back to the Association, there are however interesting volunteer positions with a minimal stipend in and out of the park which I might apply for as a way of getting between work seasons in the future depending on how things work out.

I also noticed the Unabomber's land is for sale. Hmmm.

I was planning to be out early this morning because the sun was going to visibly rise, but didn't make it because I was awake for a few hours in the middle of the night. But if you enlarge this photo from when I finally got there, you can see the Lake still steaming a bit, and ice on the rocks.

5 comments:

Northland said...

Has to be nice to have what was basically a Duluth dead-end of economic opportunity from 2 years ago turn into a Yellowstone bonanza.
I see you're reading Kunzler's 2nd novel in the series. I doubt that you do a lot of reading of this genre, so won't say much other than it was sure easy reading without a lot to think about afterward, IMHO.
The sun finally peeked out for a few minutes, after a very long time of gray and white lake effect snow. I see that the weather report is for the snow to continue tomorrow after a quite frigid night (for around here). I was a lay-about today, staying close to the fire and cooking and baking, and feel a bit guilty for not getting out in the clear sunlight for at least a walk, or more aerobically profitable: a ski.
Probably 5 or 6 winters ago, I ended up getting a touch of plantar's fascitis (sp?). All I knew was my right foot really ached and the pain was intense, especially after a day of skiing. I was skiing 15 to 20 miles guiding dog team trips. A doctor on one of the trips wanted to take a look at my foot. I pulled off my ski boot at the end of the day, he said, "Does it hurt here?" and jabbed my foot on the instep. I let out a yell and his diagnosis was complete. Therapy was rolling an empty wine bottle under my instep. It gradually went away. Wine tended to help as well.

Ruahines said...

Kia ora GT,
Those winter scenes over the lake are always stunning.
I invested in a Thermarest sleeping mat years ago, and it is still the finest comfort close to the ground I know.
Peaceful Yuletide.
Cheers,
Robb

greentangle said...

I'm amazed at the turnaround jobwise--I never bothered with bankruptcy because I was sure I was going to be homeless (in the ugly sense, rather than my current sense) so why waste money on a lawyer. Now that decision and not living anywhere long enough to file now, combined with unethical relatives who screwed with my grandfather's will, is coming back to bite me a bit but now it's just a matter of whether my life will be very good or just very good except for financial bs. Either way, it will be a relief to have it settled in the next month or two and move on.

I think I'm about 1/4 through Kunstler's novel--so far I prefer it to the first but didn't really expect too much.

I like your treatment plan!

Happy holidays, Robb. It's forecast as a very cold weekend coming up so I'll try to get some good steamy Lake photos for you.

Beyond The Garden said...

As a 55 year old, I love your gait description. We have a similar walk.

greentangle said...

I just hit 54, so we have a similar age as well.