Sunday, June 26, 2011

The View From Here

Summer seems to have arrived in Yellowstone on the calendar's schedule as the weather has temporarily shifted away from cool frequent rain to warm and mostly sunny. Despite the weather, I'm spending the weekend in my room because my foot is going downhill, slightly ahead of the rest of my body. It hasn't reached the winter's every step is painful stage yet but seems to be headed in that direction so I'm resting it as much as I can before a couple long hikes I have scheduled for the first week of July. With my free time, I finished reading a not bad post-eco-apocalypse novel yesterday called Burn Down the Sky. We find hope where we can.





I did take a short walk uphill while on my morning break the other day and found some Rocky Mountain Irises so at lunch I got the camera and went back to take some photos.





The next plant was nearby but I haven't been able to figure out what it's going to grow up to be.



Yesterday I started up the outside stairs of the dorm and realized a ground squirrel was on the landing at the top. I tried to stay to the side as he did some panicked scurrying and then tore down the stairs like a possessed cat. When he reached the bottom, he stood near the safety of his hole and looked up at me. As I often do, I wished better interspecies communication was possible. Still, he fared better than the road-killed one I saw this morning being eaten by a raven while a magpie stood nearby waiting his turn.

Here's this morning's view from my window.



Even with the screen and the dirty glass and the scaffolding and netting, it's the best view I'll ever have from the window again. Tomorrow the window will be replaced with one which will be part of making the building look prettier to the tourists passing by. It will have a lot of fake panes breaking the view into little rectangles so we're not troubled by feeling insignificant by the great outdoors. The pesky wood siding is also being replaced by vinyl--as far as I know, I'm the only person against this project because as far as I know I'm the only person here who prefers beat up character to modern sterility.

Still, I've gone ahead and filled out a winter application. Mostly because when I was looking through this year's photos so I could send a few to my work email to use as a computer background, I was delighted by the feelings and memories the photos from March aroused in me--a time of quiet and few people. It would be nice to experience a winter here and keep a roof over my head for one more year before returning to face the eco-apocalypse.

No comments: