Thursday, September 1, 2011

Beartooth

I wrote that I'd do a post with the photos I entered in the contest, but realized that I hadn't kept the list of what the different files were dated and don't want to hunt them all down again. And you've already seen all of them here anyway. The one of mine which made the initial cut was in the closeup category and I called it Sunlit Gentians. I was completely outclassed in the Wildlife category, but in a couple of the others I thought mine were as good as some of those which survived the cut so I'm content with it all. Check out all the winners here.

Today I headed out to parts previously unknown to me. But in the park, we stopped to check out a resting group of pronghorn.




Today, I went to see what Charles Kuralt called the most beautiful roadway in the country--the Beartooth Highway. Depending on the weather, the road is only passable four or five months of the year. Expand the following map so you can follow along.



Yellowstone is on the left; after leaving we went through the small towns of Silver Gate and Cooke City which is closely followed by the Soda Butte campground, scene of last summer's fatal grizzly tent attack.

We stopped at Crazy Creek Cascade. None of my photos came close to doing justice to this high-volume, fast-moving series of waterfalls.



We took a break here.





On the map, the Beartooth takes the northern fork when the road splits. The road had switchbacks like a mountain trail. When we reached almost 11,000 feet, we were above some of the clouds. The wind was ferocious and very cold--my kind of weather!



And, yes, that was snow you saw in an earlier photo. Ski trails can be spotted in the next photo; at another spot, people were sliding down a snow-covered slope.



In the next photo, the spike toward the right edge of the landscape is the namesake bear's tooth.





I'm not sure of the name of the beautiful lake above, but the next one is Island Lake.



A windswept greentangle wishes you a wild weekend from the top of the world.


2 comments:

Terry said...

Great pics. as always. So how old were those ski tracks? Do they carry over from the winter because of the compression making the snow into more persistent ice, or did some nut ski on that old snow, and perhaps on to the rocks below it?

greentangle said...

Don't know, they look pretty fresh from a distance. I was imagining someone landing in the lake myself.