Sunday, October 30, 2011

Scenes from the Lake Shore

My first week in Duluth has been spent doing necessary things, eating at restaurants, walking when possible, thinking of New Orleans, and longing for mountains. I expect that next year when I leave the park, I'll only be coming back here to ship whatever I'm keeping to Bozeman or Gardiner. It's on to the next life.







Yesterday a couple friends and I hiked about seven miles on Wisconsin Point, across the channel from my favorite hike on Minnesota Point. Not sure I feel the need to do that one now. Probably not this week anyway, which will be filled with more necessary things and a day in St. Paul.



Sometimes a lighthouse is just a lighthouse.









3 comments:

Ruahines said...

Kia ora GT,
There is still a beauty there in the midwest and the lakes that stirs something within me, a little different than the mountains but very significant. Enjoy N'Awlin's. Been some time since I have been there as well. I suspect much has changed. Kia kaha e hoa.
Robb

Woodswalker said...

A very different kind of evocative beauty, that immense cold lake. Then there's New Orleans, a city like no other, with its smells of river muck and creosote, praline pots and chicory coffee, oyster shells reeking on the curb each morning. I only went there once, but I still remember it vividly. Have fun!

greentangle said...

Hi Robb, good to hear from you. I suspect I'm too caught up in Yellowstone and New Orleans right now to fully appreciate Duluth right now, along with living in a hotel room and still making odds & ends travel plans. But I've had a great time living by the Lake in my life and it will always be a special area for me as well.

Ww, I just told my friends that I was looking forward to the chicory coffee and I'm not even a coffee drinker usually. And one of the songs I like by a New Orleans musician I recently discovered mentions the smell of the seafood shells as part of summertime in New Orleans. Not summer, but the average highs should be in the low 70s while I'm there--nice.