Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Humid N'Awlins

We were a couple hours late getting here yesterday because of problems near Memphis. There was a car accident on the tracks which stopped us for awhile, and when that was cleared, starting from a standstill couldn't get us up a hill's tracks which were slick from rain and wet leaves. So we had to back up a couple times and get running starts. A trainman tried to get us all to say, "I think I can, I think I can," but it didn't go over very well.

A couple scenes of varying naturalness from the train as we approached the city.






A wave of humidity hit us as soon as we got off the train and continued this morning despite overnight rain.







It seemed like a good day to spend indoors so I went to the Audubon Aquarium and Insectarium, and saw an Imax film about Katrina which choked me up a bit.



One highlight was an outside roomful of parakeets which flew around me.







Find your state insect. If your state isn't listed, you don't have one, at least not when the exhibit was made.



Another highlight was an indoor roomful of butterflies which flew around me. I would have spent more time here since it was set up nicely for contemplation if I hadn't had the film to get to.





I'd researched music to see in the afternoon, so I went to Margaritaville where I saw more photos of Jimmy Buffett than I'd seen in my entire life. Not a place I would have gone except I'd sampled the music of Colin Lake who was playing there and liked it. Enjoyed it enough in person to buy a cd. Right now I'm waiting a couple hours to go out to see Walter Wolfman Washington a couple blocks away.

The weather forecast is better for the rest of my time here, but I'm still looking forward to eating the Yellow(stone) snow.
.

No comments: