Sunday, November 20, 2011

Leavin' Louisiana in the Broad Daylight

It's my last night and I don't think I'll be back. I didn't feel any of the magic which made me consider moving here after my visit twenty-some years ago. The city has changed but that probably has more to do with the changes in me. I heard some great music and ate some good food, but this isn't a place for a solo traveler of a certain age, at least not this one.

The weather has varied between humid 80s and 60s with a cool breeze and I've gotten a cold as a result and have stayed in the past couple nights and limited my days' activities as well. Now I get to travel sick on Thanksgiving week--oh joy!

This is where I've been staying--great location for the clubs I've been frequenting, but everything else about it sucks. If I ever do come back, I won't be staying here.







I did get to visit several parts of the city I hadn't seen before, including City Park and its botanical garden. I forgot there's also an arboretum there so missed that.















This cemetery is between the park and a restaurant I visited. I believe this is the one my guidebook says you'll probably survive visiting on your own. It advises avoiding another one even on a tour.



There's snow on the ground in Yellowstone, Bozeman, and maybe even a little in Duluth. I'm looking forward to getting back to the northern lands where I belong.

My next seven nights:
New Orleans
train
St. Paul
Duluth
Duluth
bus
Bozeman

See you in Montana.

1 comment:

Northland said...

Yeah, I can relate to your impression of the southland east - from backward politics to hellish weather - it's not the place for me.