Friday, December 30, 2011

Winding Up

A few last scenes from a week ago to wind up 2011.



A few days ago I was planning to spend this day off snowshoeing because a good amount of snow was in the forecast for Wednesday and Thursday. That worked out for most of the park, but here in Mammoth we were too warm and got snow and rain mixes which made walking treacherous.

Today was the wettest day I've seen here. It's been raining all day, still beating against the window as I type. The parking lot area behind the hotel and back road I walk between home, work, gym, and food never gets plowed to pavement in winter--I'm walking on snow and ice and spread dirt for months. Today it became a mix of slush and mud and water and ice. I'm hoping an inch or two of forecast overnight snow will cover it all up before I head out in the morning.




After checking out events schedules, I've picked the last weekend in January for my vacation to Old Faithful. I'll make reservations at work tomorrow and hope my boss will give me the days off. Finding out if someone might join me will have to come later.

I haven't had much success losing weight since I've been back, in part because I've been having a couple beers most nights, but I have greatly improved my stamina on the elliptical machine watching the numbers climb higher. This morning I hit the near edge of the runner's high I used to feel during my Boston runs long ago, and feel inspired to make brief morning gym stops every day before work instead of only longer sessions on my days off.




I've followed up my New Orleans music craze by repurchasing most of my favorite 60s and 70s Motown and R&B music--Temptations, Four Tops, Supremes, Smokey Robinson, Bill Withers, Barry White, and Marvin Gaye. But the one which is just knocking me out with repeated back to back plays is Al Green--the sensuality side to Barry's sexuality.

Just after posting this with its mention of R&B, I discovered this video of one of the funniest songs I've heard--"Ooh Girl"-An Honest R&B Song.

My 2012 resolution--to become more natural, more wild, and go with the flow. Best wishes.

3 comments:

KonKow Journal said...

Best wishes to you too....

Allan Stellar said...

Ooops...wrong account. Best Wishes!

Woodswalker said...

What an amazing landscape you live among! Thanks for sharing its wonders with us. All blessings to you in the coming year.