Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Bears Are Back

Here's a pretty good column from High Country News about hiking in grizzly country which includes info on last year's Yellowstone deaths and why bear/human encounters are likely to become more frequent.

http://www.hcn.org/blogs/range/rethinking-recreation-in-grizzly-country

The recent warm weather not only has bears coming out of their dens, it was also teasing me with thoughts of hiking season. The dirt road to town (and much of the ground) was largely clear of snow and patches of my local trail were also clear. I did brief walks up the hill a couple nights after work, and was looking forward to a longer hike on a day off. But we got a few new inches of snow and now everything is icy again, so no big hike for me tomorrow.

I made a couple free book selections from last week's Amazon newsletter--here's my comment about them from the forum there:

"I got Lonely Planet Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks -- Hey, I live here, I figured I had to.
and
Lustfully Ever After: Fairy Tale Erotic Romance -- Hey, I . . . um, never mind."

I'm looking forward to comparing the Yellowstone book (which includes 40 hikes) to my own experience.

I've been going through a bit of a dark period lately
, but things seem to be working out. Concern I had about my summer job has been resolved. I've moved to the room I'll be in for the rest of the year, and I'm looking forward to my roommate returning in about a month. And things seem to finally be getting on track with someone I've been interested in for a long time. Spring's not in the air right now, but it's due back tomorrow and with some good melting, I might still make it to the trail Thursday.
.

No comments: